Wednesday 20 January 2010

A load of pollacks....

I've never been very daring at the fish counter. Stop. Before you say "but you come from an island" actually we never ate fish at home. In fact the first time I was forced to eat fish was at a very posh meal I had to go to when I was eighteen. I remember looking down at the starter of avocado and prawn mousse and I thought What. The. Hell. Is. That?

I focused my mind and swallowed each mouthful one teaspoon at a time until the person sitting opposite me whispered "You hated that didn't you?"

I vowed then I would have to train myself to like prawns so if I ever was in a situation like that again I would get through it (minus the grimace!)

Now I love prawns and avocados and I've added a few other fish dishes into my diet. In fact apart from shellfish I think there are very few I don't like.

Pollacky Pasta Sauce.....(serves 2)

2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 small onion
2 sticks celery
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
1 handful fresh basil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
200g chopped pollack
100g chopped fresh fish (I used smoked haddock and salmon)

Finely chop the onion, garlic and celery and cook over a low heat. When the have softened add all other ingredients apart from the fish and basil. Leave to boil on the low heat for 20 to 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

Add the fish and stir into the sauce carefully. Leave to simmer for a further 10 minutes until the fish is cooked through. Stir through the basil.

Serve with pasta with some grated Parmesan over the top if you wish.

I made twice as much sauce so I had some extra to freeze and use for pasta another day.

PS. Pollack is great for a sauce like this because it holds its shape so well so you get nice big steamed chunks instead of it falling apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment