Friday 8 October 2010

A shred of hope....

When I put on weight, I can stand to go near the scales. I put it off and putt it off until I eventually climb on and it's usually not as bad as I think it will be. This week I braced myself and headed back to the allotment after turning my back on it for a few weeks.

The vegetables I planted back in July have survived well without my weeding and watering. And I came home with this....

I also bought how armfuls of bluey green cavolo nero leaves. They are fantastically delicious. This is great with partridge or duck.

Cavolo Nero with honey toasted hazelnuts (serves 4)

4 big handfuls of cavolo nero
a knob of butter
1 handful hazelnuts
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 pinch salt
Shred the cavolo nero into thin strips with a sharp knife. Melt the butter in a pan and add the cabbage.
This will take only a couple of minutes. It will transform the bluey green leaves, turning them a vibrant emerald. In a pan toast the hazelnuts. As they start to toast add a tbsp of honey and mix through.
Add to the cavolo nero and stir through. Add the vinegar and salt and serve.

4 comments:

  1. what an excellent dish... I can imagine the leaves and sweet nuts compliment each other superbly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...it was yummy! I just ate it on its own x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cavalo nero - will definitely try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great joey...it is good I promise! x

    ReplyDelete