Saturday 10 July 2010

Fritter away......

It's war at the allotment. The caterpillars have invaded the cauliflower patch. The pigeons have based themselves around the strawberries guarding the fruit. And don't get me started on the broad bean black fly. Every morning there's a battle. The gloves are on, the caterpillars are parachuted into the empty land nearby, the pigeons fly for their lives and the black fly face chemical warfare after being sprayed with water and fairy liquid. The only thing that seems missing is the snails and slugs. They appear to be keeping a safe distance.

But getting up early has it's advantages of seeing Cornwall at its best.




And I get to home with vegetables picked freshly that day. The potatoes are now the size of my fist but have that wonderful waxiness a fresh potato only has. Of course the other battle I have in the allotment is a more lighthearted one...it's more of a game really. The courgette plants try and hide their fruit and I try and spot them. Most of the time I win. Sometimes they do and I suddenly find a courgette as thick as large goats cheese. I wave the white flag......

Courgette and Chilli Fritters with Tomato Chutney.....(serves 2 as a starter 1 as a lunch)

Half a large courgette
4 tbsp cornflour
2 large pinches dried chilli flakes
salt and pepper
1 pinch cumin
1 egg
1 and a half pints sunflower oil
tomato chutney (I'll be making this at the end of the summer so will blog it then!)
Chop your courgette into wedges about the length of your little finger. (My pointing finger as I have freakishly small hands.)

Put the flour and spices on a plate and mix together. Pour your oil in a saucepan and put on the heat.

Beat the egg in a separate bowl and dunk each courgette wedge in it. Then roll them in the seasoned flour.

Check the oil is up to temperature by carefully dropping in a little bit of courgette. It is sizzles furiously it's ready. Using a large slotted spoon lower the courgette pieces in and fry two or three at a time. When they turn golden brown place on some kitchen paper and keep somewhere warm. Keep repeating until all the fritters are done.

Serve with a spoonful of tomato chutney and a little salad if you wish.


3 comments:

  1. Those pesky caterpillars! Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laught with your courgette games - I too play hunt the courgette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joy! They drive me mad Choclette..I've checked this morning but no doubt there will be some kind of marrow appearing tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete