Tuesday 24 April 2012

Ice cream challenge....

I'm still getting to grips with ordering for the guest house. We're really strict about limiting food waste so when I mess up an order I have to think about what I can do with it. This week I've ended up with too much clotted cream (the best leftovers ever.)

It coincided with Callestick Farm Ice Cream asking me to spread the word about it's Ice Cream Challenge this year. Callestick wants chefs to use its yummy ice cream to create a new dish in its own right. They have thirty flavours to choose from so chefs can be as original and creative as they like.

There will be a live cook off at the Cornwall Food and Drink Festival in September. (For more info go to twitter @callestickfarm or facebook.com/CallestickFarm.

I'm going to have to get my hands on some of their ice cream and do some experimenting! However, that's not so easy on a remote island... and with my glut of clotted cream I decided to make my own. My mum (from @scillyfudge) also had loads of fudge crumbs and so my ice cream was born....

Veronica Farm Fudge and clotted cream ice cream....(serves 6)

1 tub double cream (284ml)
8oz/225g Troytown clotted cream
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
4oz/125g caster sugar
200ml semi skimmed milk
100g chopped up Veronica Farm fudge

Using a hand whisk beat the eggs and sugar. Add the creams and milk.


Once it becomes thick fold in the fudge.


Put in your ice cream maker for 30 minutes.


Put in a plastic tub or loaf tin and freeze for a further 2 hours.




3 comments:

  1. That looks so tasty,what was the verdict on your experiment?
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are great - it's so difficult to take a good picture of ice cream. Fudge ice cream is the ultimate IOS/Cornish combo isn't it? Would be lovely wih some home made fudge sauce too. Thanks so much for telling everybody about the Ice Cream Challenge, I think with your skills you should definitely be entering. There is a Callestick Farm outlet on the IOS so no excuses... tee hee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dairy intolerant. I've eaten 3 bowls. It was that yummy! (Although I would now say leave it for another couple of hours in the freezer.)

    ReplyDelete