Sunday 5 December 2010

Crumbs.....

I thought I would show you the snow that hit Cornwall last week.


The landscape looked amazing! I stood at Redruth Railway Station looking down towards Carn Brea and it looked spectacular. These photos are at Perranporth and were taken by our lovely friend Stella.

I had loads of bread left over from Padstow Christmas Festival that I had forgot to wrap up. We used some of it toasted with baked beans...the perfect Sunday tea. But in the spirit of Christmas organisation I decided to make bread sauce to freeze....

Clotted Cream Bread Sauce (serves 8)

250g/8oz stale bread (ripped up or in crumbs, it doesn't matter)
1 and a half pints milk
1 red onion
3 bay leaves
20 peppercorns
20 cloves
leftover nutmeg (those small bits, too small to grate)
a dash of clotted cream


Put all the ingredients (except the bread and cream) in a heavy saucepan. Warm up until it starts to steam. Then take off the side and leave for a couple of hours. Strain through a seive and warm again. Stir in the bread and beat. Add the clotted cream with some salt and pepper.

Serve warm, or pop in the freezer. This is awesome in turkey sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment