Sunday 5 December 2010

On the sauce....

It's just me and the other half for Christmas dinner. I've got 10 days off in a row...a complete record but I'm working on Christmas Eve and won't be able to get back to Scilly as flights stop in the morning. And even though everyone around me keeps telling me to buy Christmas ready meal I have already started cooking for us. Because for me Christmas dinner is important. It's a milestone. So this is my freezable cranberry sauce....

Boozy spiced cranberry sauce.....(enough for 8 with Boxing Day sandwiches)

600g cranberries
300g jam sugar (or any sugar- I can't see it really matters)
a splash of wine
1 star anise
1/2 cinnamon stick
10 peppercorns
10 allspice berries
1 satsuma chopped in half

Put all the ingredients in a heavy based pan on a medium heat.

Heat until the sugar is dissolved, the cranberries have popped and it's all jammy. Leave to cool until luke warm. Fish out the star anise, cinnamon, peppercorns and berries if you can be bothered.

Freeze for a month if you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment