Tuesday 16 March 2010

Baking biscotti....

I have always carried around in my head the idea of not having to work. To wake up in the morning. Pancakes, bacon and maple syrup for breakfast. A gentle work out with my personal trainer Steve (did I tell you in my head I've won the Euromillions as well?) I swim in my pool. Go out for lunch. Watch Murder She Wrote. Drink tea and eat biscuits...etc etc.

The nearest I get is the Murder She Wrote part and the biscuits. I know it's a bit 1950's housewife but one of my favourite parts of the day is when my other half gets home (I work earlies) and I have something he can eat. We sit and drink tea and talk about our day. Today I've got cashew nut biscotti in the oven. Except I know he won't like them. They're too....nutty. If it's not covered in chocolate, he's not interested.

Cashew Nut Biscotti (Makes about 14)




5oz cashew nuts
1oz chopped hazelnuts
3 egg whites
6oz caster sugar
4oz plain flour
spray oil

Preheat the oven to 180'c. Spread the nuts on a baking tray and toast in the oven. Set aside and leave to cool. In a bowl whisk up the egg white until they make stiff peaks.... Add the sugar a little bit at a time while continuing to whisk.


Sieve the flour and add one tbsp at a time. Fold it in carefully. Then add the nuts.

Spray a swiss roll tin. Spread the mixture across it.

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.


Slice into fingers.


Place back in the oven for 15 minutes until crispy.


These can be stored in an air tight tin for up to a week.


Serve with a frothy hot chocolate and a conversation about what you've done today.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh what a lovely idea - having a chat over hot chocolate and biscotti about your respective days. Your method for making them looks easier than the one I used on the only occasion I've tried, so think I might emulate yours when I try making biscotti again - thanks.

    ReplyDelete