Tuesday 9 March 2010

Summer Stew....

March. It's a depressing month for the allotment. After the initial excitement of the rotavation my green fingers are not itching to get planting. The garlic's gone in. The herbs have been sown. But the patch is still bare.

I'm waiting for a morning when I get up at 5am and I can't see my breath as I run to the car. It might be a while yet.




I've still got the pictures of the Cotele Spring Food and Drink festival......




I get a vegetable box from Riverford to keep me going in the winter and I love the excitement of seeing what is in it week but week. But it doesn't compare the shiver you get when you eat a dinner grown by you.....




This is one of my favourite recipes for summer vegetables and is a quick and easy lunch....

Quick Summer Stew......(serves 1)

1 little gem lettuce head
2 small handful peas
1 oz smoked bacon pancetta
1 splash white wine
1 splash hot vegetable stock
a knob of butter
1 egg


Pop a knob of butter in a saucepan. hen it foams add the bacon and fry until crispy. Add the peas and toss in the butter. Add the wine and stir through the pea mix when it's almost evaporated add the stock and let it bubble away happily.

While this is happening crack an egg into a shallow pan of simmering water and poach for a few minutes until it looks solid enough to scoop out.

Add the lettuce to the peas and stir through. Simmer for a minute or two until the lettuce starts to wilt.

Pour into a bowl and top with the egg, salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment