Monday 14 September 2009

Apples and Tomatoes....

Today I went to visit my new project...a brand new spanking allotment at Carnon Downs. It's huge! We went along to try and decide whether to go for a small one or a big one....so we chose the big one. I'm already drawing out plans of what to grow; blackberries, goosberries, rhubarb, french beans, sprouts...we might even get a shed!

Not that I'll neglect the vegetable patch. I think I will grow all the salad there and make the herb garden bigger. After a summer filled with salads and runner beans, cauliflower cheese and pea soups now the patch is being overshadowed by an orchard of bright apples. The wasps are burrowing into them and giving them brown spots. So my other half's mum has picked a massive bag for me. Now I have to try and think of enough recipes to use them up...be prepared for an apple theme this week.



Apple Cake.....

1x basic sponge mix using 2 eggs (see previous sponge mixes)
2 apples de cored but not peeled
2 tsps cinnamon
4 tsps demara sugar

Make the sponge mix. Chops the apples into medium sized chunks and stir in. Put the mix in a lined tin and sprinkle with the spice and sugar. Baked in a 180'c oven for 20 mins.


We also have a glut of tomatoes, big ripe and juicy ones. They scream out to be roasted with garlic and olive oil and place on big chunks of toast. But this week I'm going to try to be creative.
Chilli Bean Feast....
1 tin mixed beans
1 tin tomatoes
4 tomatos (chopped)
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp cumin
1tsp dried chilli flakes
1 part baked baguette
olive oil
Fry the onion until soft. Add the tinned tomatoes, beans, tomatoes, 1 garlic cloves crushed, tomato puree and spices. Simmer for 25 mins. Put in a baking tray. Slice the baguette. Rub with garlic and olive oil. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and serve with salad leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment