Tuesday 29 September 2009

Cake Expectations.....

Last year I had to interview Cornish children and ask them where certain foods originated from. I thought bacon would be relatively easy and I got answers ranging from "a supermarket" to my favourite "eerrrrr Afghanistan?".

In my third year at school Home Economics changed and became "Food Technology". Instead of learning about how to cook and the science of food we learnt how to put a sandwich together in a sandwich factory and designing ready meals....

Gone were the apple crumbles and lasagnes. So here is my tribute to the first recipe we learnt.....it might look naff and scruffy but it still tastes as good as when I unwrapped it on the boat home and ate the lot!

Chocolate and Orange Whirl Cake......

1x 4 egg cake mix
2 tbsp cocoa
2 oranges

Icing:

8oz icing sugar
3oz butter
1oz cocoa

Weigh the four eggs in their shells. Note how much they weigh and put the same amount of self raising flour, caster sugar, butter and the eggs (out of their shells!). Mix.

Put half the mix in another bowl and add the cocoa. Mix. In the other bowl add the rind of 2 oranges and the juice of half an orange. Mix.

Put big spoonfuls of each mix in a lined tin.
Drag a knife through the cake so you get a marbled look.

Bake in the oven for 25minutes. Cool. Melt the butter in a pan. Take off the heat. Add the cocoa and sieved icing sugar. Beat and top the cake.

3 comments:

  1. This looks delish! This is my first visit to your blog - I love cupcakes and adore Cornwall - so this is the blog for me! :) Great site, will visit again.

    Best wishes, Lucie x
    http://cookingatmarystow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lucie! Glad to have you on board xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bacon story and I LOVE the cake!

    ReplyDelete