Wednesday 16 September 2009

My day which ended with fishcakes....

Got up. Showered. Went to work. Put my head in my hands. Carried on. Laughed a lot. Finished work. Visited garden. Watered plants. Picked more tomatoes. Picked a cucumber. Stripped the runner beans. Came home. Decided not to make a tomato dinner. Felt guilty and added tomatoes as a side.

Salmon and Cornish Mustard Fishcakes...(serves 2)




Ingredients:

2 salmon fillets
2 large jacket potatoes
Skimmed milk
2 large tbsp Cornish mustard*
1 tsp capers
Good handul chopped herbs (whatever you've got that you like)

Preheat the oven to 180'c. Place the salmon in a dish and add a mug of milk. (I used skimmed milk as I am still dieting). Pop in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the milk and place in a bowl. With a fork, flake the salmon but try not to break it up to much, you don't want a paste. Add the mustard, capers and herbs and mix carefully.

Peel and chop the potatoes and boil in salty water for 20 minutes. In a bowl place the hot potatoes and half the poaching milk. Mash up with a fork and leave to cool. With the fork, mix in the fish and shape into cakes.

Fry in olive oil for 3 minutes or so on each side. Try not to move them too much...you want a nice crust.


I served it with a garlic mayonaisse and, the real star of the show, some fiery peppery leaves from the garden. I planted them about a month ago and they have only just reared their heads.

* I bought the mustard at Launceston Show back in July and I can't recommend it enough. It's called Berrio Mill....I could eat it with a spoon....

No comments:

Post a Comment