Thursday 17 September 2009

Pasta with garlic, prawns and yes you've guessed it...tomatoes

It's funny isn't it how some friendships are based around food? I came out of work squinting because I'd been stuck in a dark studio for hours and didn't notice the sunshine. I went for a stroll with my former housemate and her beautiful baby girl around Trellisick Gardens near Truro.

Photo: nationaltrust.org.uk
We sat and drank peppermint tea and talked about our colleague who is soon to interview Nigel Slater. Our hero. She told me we should tell him our who friendship is based around a mutual love of his Baked Chicken and Cous Cous recipe. And it is.
When I was 18 I went to Corfu with my best school friend. We spent the week lying in the sun, playing in the pool and eating pasta and tomato sauce. Every night. (I'll ignore the fateful pasta carbonara night which resulted in rampant food poisoning.)

And now whenever I make pasta and tomato sauce it always feels a bit more exotic than it actually is. So tonight I made some for tea...a tomato dish to match the autumn sunshine.

Ingredients: Serves 2

10 large tomatoes
1 tin tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
20 tiger prawns
2 onions
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp thyme
salt and pepper
Enough pasta for 2 people.



Chop the onions, garlic and tomatoes. Fry the onion and garlic in a large pan. When soft add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tin of tomatoes and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Toss in the prawns until they turn pink. Season with the herbs, salt and pepper.

Serve mixed through cooked pasta.

4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous you can pop to Trellisk after work. We spent our honeymoon in Cornwall and went to Trellisk one afternoon.

    I second relationships centred around Nigel Slater. The first dish my now Husband taught me to make was a Nigel Slater one. His dishes were the culinary backbone to our early relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I can't spell. Trellisick perhaps would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it there! The cakes are immense and yesterday was such a lovely day, I wish I'd taken my camera. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS what was the first dish he made you? Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise? That's another killer meal!

    ReplyDelete