Sunday 27 September 2009

Phoenix from the ashes....

Two weeks ago I shared with you the triumph of the Truro Ladies A as they made it to the final of the County gig championships for the first time in ten years. Today I reluctantly got up early to watch the other half in the quarter finals of the men's event.

There was a blanket of slate grey clouds lingering over the harbour and a definate chill in the air as we walked down the steps towards the quay. And it seems it was an omen of what was to come. The boys were disqualified. Disqualified for trying not to hit another gig on a mark. If they had hit it they would have been disqualified. So they tried not to. Apparently that was the wrong decision. So there was many a gloomy face as we walked back to the car park two hours later.

We decided to go to the beach and have a picnic with one of my other half's crew. He drove us to a locals beach we had never been to. The sun came out, the temperature rose and we ate sausage pasta salad and ham rolls and everyone seemed a bit happier.....


Everytime I have a nice day at the beach I always pick up a shell or pebble to take home and put in a plant pot. It's a habit I've picked up and it makes me feel happier in the winter when it's too cold and wet to go out. Today ended up being a brilliant day so I took two home with me....


Yesterday I made jam. Making jams and chutneys is the only way to bottle the sunshine we are having at the moment. My fingers ended up bright purple because I kept dunking my fingers in....

Easy blackcurrant jam.....

2lbs blackcurrents
2lbs jam sugar
splash of water

Put all the ingredients in a heavy based pan......

Let it boil for about 20 minutes or so. Test if it's ready by putting a little bit on a saucer. Leave it for a minute and then drag a teaspoon through it. If it wrinkles, it's ready!

Put in pretty jars.....


Perfect on hot, buttered toast, scones or on fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment