Thursday 10 September 2009

Tea party Thursday...

When your other half comes bounding in like an excited puppy telling you, you've been invited round for a girl's night you something's not quite right. In fact what he's really saying is 'I'm having a poker night, ordering pizza and drinking beer and you're not invited.

I don't mind anyway. I'd much rather eat lasagne and salad and watch Strictly Come Dancing reruns than be stuck in a flat with a load of boys...

So if I'm going to play at the girls' house I thought I better make something fit for party. I wanted to make proper fairy cakes. Like the ones you had at parties when you were little...not the fancy creations you get now. There's nothing wrong with the posh ones. I love them. I dream about the perfectly whipped frosting kiss sitting on a perfect vanilla sponge that I see in Marks and Spencer. But it's the same as beef. I love fillet steak but occasionally I'll wolf down a Big Mac and enjoy it in the same way. These are the fairy cakes your mum probably made....

Mum's Cupcakes....

Ingredients: (Weights to be determined but you probably have them all in your cupboard anyway...)

4 eggs
Self Raising Flour
Baking Powder
Butter
Golden Brown Sugar
Cocoa
Icing Sugar
The most brightly coloured sweets you can find....

Method....

Weigh four eggs in their shells....Mine came to six oz.....


Put the eggs to one side. Weigh the exact same amount of butter (so six oz) and sugar (six oz) into a bowl and whisk together until fluffy. Add an egg, one at a time, mix.

Fold in the same amount of self raising flour (for me it was six oz) and 1 tbsp baking powder. In cupcake cases add 2 tsps of the mix. You will still have loads of cake mix left. Add 2 tbsp cocoa and mix. Spoon into the rest of the cases....
Pop into an oven (preheated to 180'c) and cook for 20 minutes. Take out and cool and top with your favourite toppings. I chose butterfly cakes filled with blackberry and apple jam I cooked last week. I made royal icing and topped some with a type of sweets called "millions".




The chocolate ones are topped with chocolate butter icing and smarties and chocolate buttons...

So now (picture this) the boys will be playing poker, eating pizza, drinking beer and polishing off fairy cakes....

No comments:

Post a Comment